Scottsdale ENT is seeking a 4th year externship for 2017-18. There are three ENT physicians and two audiologists in the practice. The patient population consists of primarily adults with some pediatrics. We are a busy practice that consists of the following audiology services:
Diagnostic audiological evaluations
Vestibular evaluations (ECOG, ABR, VNG and VEMP)
Hearing aid consults and fittings of major hearing aid manufactures
REAL ear measurements
You will be supervised by two audiologists with a combined 41 years of experience which includes hearing aid and vestibular expertise along with ASHA certification. We are looking for a team player who will eventually have the ability to become independent. A stipend is offered for all your hard work and dedication. Please contact Dr. Debra Hamila at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Dr. Natacia Howard at email@example.com regarding the externship.
1. Pure Tone test: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
2. Speech Test: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
3. Masking: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
4. Tympanometry: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
5. OAEs: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
6. Acoustic Reflex: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
7. Fit and dispense hearing aids/Ponto: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
8. Vestibular Evaluations (ECOG/ABR/VNG): Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
9. Vestibular rehabilitation: canalith repositioning: Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
10. Proficient EMR/report writing: : Demonstrates the ability to perform independently.
Externship site expects the extern to have mastered these skills before they begin their clinical externship:
Comprehensive audiological evaluations.
Externship site expects the extern to learn/demonstrate these skills during their clinical externship:
Independence and confidence.
Primary Practice Setting:
ENT group practice
Number of Audiology Students each year:
0 1st year AuD Clinical Rotations 0 2nd year 0 3rd year 1 4th year Externships
Does the externship site provide orientation to relevant clinical policies and procedures?
Does the externship site provide instructions about patient's rights and providing patient education?
Does the externship site provide orientation to quality assessment, quality assurance and quality improvement?
Number of Audiologists at the site:
0 FTE Masters Degree 2 FTE Au.D. 0 FTE Ph.D. 0 FTE Other Doctorate (ScD) 0 FTE professional support staff (technicians/audiometric assistants) 1 FTE Clerical Support Staff
Clinical opportunities that will be given to the extern:
Pediatric evaluations: infant/toddler
Pediatric evaluations: school-age
Adult hearing evaluations
Auditory processing evaluations
Evoked potential assessments
Intra-operative monitoring cases
Hearing aids dispensed
Hearing aid selection/fitting
Audiologic rehabilitation (group or individualized)
Cochlear implant evaluations
Cochlear implant rehabilitation
Continuing education opportunities?
Travel to satellite centers required?
Consortium or collaborative arrangements with other sites?
How frequently will the externship site communicate with the university during the externship?
Communication or other support do expected or required from the university during the externship:
Letters of Recommendation Resume Personal Review Phone interview Letter of request/intent
Steps for the student/university to follow in the application process:
Contact Person: (preceptor, supervisor or extern coordinator)