Pediatric Ear, Nose and Throat of Atlanta is the largest private practice pediatric ENT group in the country. Our staff consists of 9 pediatric ENT physicians, 6 of whom are cochlear implant surgeons, 11 pediatric audiologists and 11 NP/PA's. Our main office is located on the campus of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. We also provide services at 2 satellite locations in close proximity to the main office.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2019-2020 academic year. We are seeking strong applicants whose interests lie in becoming Pediatric Audiologists. We provide a full range of pediatric services including sedated and unsedated ABR's, cochlear implant mapping, hearing aid, BAHA and FM fittings, OAE's and comprehensive audiological evaluations. Externs are immersed in all aspects of testing. Prospective candidates should have an affinity for the pediatric population and the ability to work in a fast paced environment. Students who are considering a career in pediatric audiology will find PENTA a challenging environment that will allow them to develop speed and accuracy as well as confidence in testing all children. Externs will be supervised by a team of experienced pediatric audiologists.
At the completion of the externship the student should demonstrate:
* Proficiency with the identification of hearing loss in infants and children.
*Fitting of amplification as early as 6 weeks of age.
*RECD and REM with Amplification
* Knowledge of cochlear implant candidacy and mapping for all 3 manufacturers.
* Ability to perform ABR testing and interpretation independently.
* Proficiency with performing VRA and conditioned play audiometry.
* Ability to counsel families regarding care of their child with hearing loss.
* Professional demeanor consistent with an experienced audiologist.
Externs will receive an annual salary, health insurance and paid time off. Continuing education is strongly encouraged as is training with the hearing aid and cochlear implant manufacturers. Externs will be located at our Main office on the campus of Children's Healthcare. Travel to satellites will be scheduled to allow for additional training opportunities.
The deadline for submission is September 15, 2018. To apply for a position, please submit a letter of intent, resume, transcripts and 3 letters of reference. The university or interested student may contact Dr. Lisa Matesevac at (404)591-1884 or by email at email@example.com. On site interviews are conducted to allow the students an opportunity to meet the staff and view the facilities.
Externship site expects the extern to have mastered these skills before they begin their clinical externship:
* Completion of 3rd Year of AuD program*Conducting comprehensive evaluations of children over the age of 5*Some exposure to VRA and Play Audiometry testing*Knowledge of cochlear impant candidacy requirements for children*Masking*Hearing Aid selection appropriate for the degree of loss and age of the patient*Basic knowledge of ABR administration*Professionalism in working as part of a comprehensive team
Externship site expects the extern to learn/demonstrate these skills during their clinical externship:
* Proficiency with the identification of hearing loss in infants and children.*Fitting of amplification as early as 6 weeks of age.*RECD and REM with amplification* Knowledge of cochlear implant candidacy and mapping.* Ability to perform comprehensive ABR testing and interpretation independently.* Proficiency with performing VRA and conditioned play audiometry.* Ability to counsel families regarding care of their child with hearing loss.* Professional demeanor consistent with an experienced audiologist.
Primary Practice Setting:
ENT group practice
Number of Audiology Students each year:
0 1st year AuD Clinical Rotations 0 2nd year 1 3rd year 3 4th year Externships
Does the externship site provide orientation to relevant clinical policies and procedures?
Does the externship site provide instructions about patient's rights and providing patient education?
Does the externship site provide orientation to quality assessment, quality assurance and quality improvement?
Number of Audiologists at the site:
1 FTE Masters Degree 8 FTE Au.D. 0 FTE Ph.D. 0 FTE Other Doctorate (ScD) 1 FTE professional support staff (technicians/audiometric assistants) 0 FTE Clerical Support Staff
Clinical opportunities that will be given to the extern:
Pediatric evaluations: infant/toddler
Pediatric evaluations: school-age
Adult hearing evaluations
Auditory processing evaluations
Evoked potential assessments
Intra-operative monitoring cases
Hearing aids dispensed
Hearing aid selection/fitting
Audiologic rehabilitation (group or individualized)
Cochlear implant evaluations
Cochlear implant rehabilitation
Continuing education opportunities?
Travel to satellite centers required?
Yes Approximately 10-15 miles
Consortium or collaborative arrangements with other sites?
How frequently will the externship site communicate with the university during the externship?
Communication or other support do expected or required from the university during the externship:
Our office will coordinate with the University liason multiple times during the semester via email, phone and via on site evaluations if required by the University.
September 15, 2018
Letters of Recommendation Resume Transcript Phone interview Letter of request/intent
Steps for the student/university to follow in the application process:
The university or interested student may contact Dr. Lisa Matesevac at (404)591-1884 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. On site interviews are conducted to allow the students an opportunity to meet the staff and view the facilities.
Contact Person: (preceptor, supervisor or extern coordinator)
Pediatric Ear, Nose and Throat of Atlanta is the largest private practice pediatric ENT group in the country. Our staff consists of 7 pediatric ENT physicians, 10 Pediatric Audiologists, and 11 Advanced Practice Providers. Our main office is located on the campus of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta. Additionally, Audiologists staff 2 satellite offices located 20 minutes from our main office. For more information visit our web site at www.childrensent.com.